Thank you for your interest in becoming a homestay family.
The stages of the application process are as follows:
- Apply: Complete the online Homestay Application form.
- Interview: After we have received your application, we will contact you to arrange an interview and will meet at your home.
- Background check: Our host families must obtain a criminal records check for all members in the household who are over the age of 18.
- Wait for a match: Once we have received all of your documentation, your application is considered complete. We will then include you in our searches when we receive student applications. If we find a match, we will contact you prior to proceeding further, to confirm that you are able to host during the required time.
The District sets the host family fee each year. Under no circumstances are private arrangements authorized unless the District Principal gives approval.
- Host family payments are paid on the 15th of each month for that month. As of September 2022, remuneration is $900 per month. If a student moves within the month, then the fee will be pro-rated. Refer to the remuneration agreement for further details.
- A student is expected to be treated as a family member as this program is NOT considered a room and board experience. It is expected that your student will experience some Canadian and family activities with you.
- B.C. has developed guidelines that explain the roles and responsibilities of homestay families, students and schools. The purpose of the BC K-12 International Student Homestay Guidelines is to provide consistent, province-wide best practice standards for BC’s K-12 homestay sector. Click